Gae Aulenti (1927-2012) is a famous Italian architect and designer.
Born in 1927, she first trained as an architect in Milan. Integrated into the Neoliberty movement, she acquired a form of recognition in 1964 on the occasion of the realization of the Italian pavilion for the 13th Biennale of Architecture in Milan.
Very involved in the deployment of Italian design during the 60s, she became the vice president of the Society of Italian Designers and became particularly known in France by ensuring the redevelopment of the Orsay station in Paris into a museum with international scope. From 1985 to 1992, she also rehabilitated the Palacio Nacional de Montjuic in Barcelona into the National Art Museum of Catalonia.
Among her famous creations are the Pipistrello lamp (1965), the 4854 chair (1968) and the Aulenti furniture (1969), as well as her numerous collaborations with Knoll and Artemide, for which she designed complete ranges of furniture.